Almost a year ago I started work on a book. I got out of the habit for a long time. There were many reasons, but the bottom line is that I just got out of the habit of writing daily. I remember a famous author (I forget who it was at time point, but I’m sure he was a SF writer) once said the secret to prolific writing was to sit down and write a fixed amount of words or pages every day. It did not matter so much if they were final pages or just thoughts about what future books might be. But stay in the habit of writing and being creative each day. When you get out of practice doing that, you soon start to fall far behind your goals.
He was right.
So beginning tomorrow, New Year’s Day, I intend to dig out the old files and begin working on the book once again. I am going to shoot for a modest goal of 1 to 2 pages a day. Now I know that does not sound like much. But with 365 days in the year, I should be able to finish by the end of the 2007.
Here are a few hints:
- It is not a computer book.
- It is not really a historical book.
- It is definitely a work of fiction.
- It will have some aspects of spirituality.
- It will have some aspects of science.
- It deals with both the past and the future.
- But that past and future may not be ours.
That is all of my resolutions for this year.